Pages

Thursday, January 28, 2010

Forbesy's Quick Takes - 1/28/10

- I was watching Sportscenter and they brought in Tim Kurkjian for some baseball talk. For some reason, I really enjoy when Tim (and a few others - Peter Gammons immediately comes to mind) talks about a pitcher's "stuff." This is the accepted term for the pitches a pitcher throws - including velocity, movement, and accuracy - and I'm ok with that. Perhaps it's just the contrast of such a generic word and the specificity of what it's referring to. I love it.

- Over the years, I've realized there are certain topics in sports I couldn't care less about. Some of those topics include this silly Pro Bowl discussion, Tiger's personal life, contract negotiations, and steroids. Call me a dreamer or idealist, but I like my sports on the field.

- Will someone please get rid of the following NFL uniforms? Arizona Cardinals, Seattle Seahawks, Buffalo Bills, Jacksonville Jaguars, Cincinnati Bengals, Minnesota Vikings.

- Oregon State lost to Seattle U. in college basketball AT HOME by 51. In their next two games, they defeated Oregon and Arizona. One of those was on the road (I believe Oregon). Seattle is an Independent. This is the team that just lost to the Univ. of Washington by 47 and played the last couple minutes of the game with 4 players. Wacky season out West in college basketball. And I didn't even mention how sub-par the Pac 10 has been. Oops, just did.

- Eastern Washington is installing red turf! I'm surprised other schools haven't thought to mimic Boise State. I mean, who says a field has to be green? And since we've known it DOESN'T have to be green, why aren't other schools - or pro teams! - doing this? I expect this trend to pick up in Division 1. How does Oregon not have a bright yellow field yet? How come Oregon doesn't bust out a new color of field every week?!?! Come on Nike, you're slacking. Get into the business of playing surfaces.

No comments: