Pages

Tuesday, January 12, 2010

Uni Tourney Final - SMU vs. UCLA

It's the granddaddy of 'em all. Well, sort of. Not really.

SMU vs. UCLA. The Mustangs vs. the Bruins. Interestingly enough, both teams in their away uniforms. I think that's an ode to the strength of their sets.

First up, SMU.



Truly a beautiful uniform from head to toe. You can't help but think of the Bills when you look at these. It's practically the same uniform. I'm not even sure who donned it first. I know SMU returned to these after some monstrosities earlier in the decade. This is what a uniform should look like.



Personally, I could do without the "SMU" on the chest, but that's just me. I love the striping all the way through. Big fan of red and blue.

Now, UCLA.



The jersey might get the nod over SMU. I'm a sucker for blue. And two shades of it is just awesome (see Tennessee Titans). The helmet is simple. Could use a stripe or two, but again, that might be picky. The pants, too.

Back to the jersey, though. I'd wear this. I really would.



Tough call, but when going head to toe, SMU's uniform is close to perfection. I really don't know why schools go Mickey Mouse on us. Teams like Michigan (away piping), Georgia Tech (ridiculous stripe across the chest for no reason), and the Under Armour schools (Texas Tech, South Carolina, etc) with their completely overblown and silly looking unis. It's out of hand. With all the improvements in uniform technology, you can still go with a classic uniform. It's a sad state of affairs, really.

SMU takes the crown. It was almost a foregone conclusion! The lesson to be learned here is that simple is better. Dance with the girl that brung ya, or whatever the saying is. You wanna sell jerseys? Run the "Would I wear this?" test. These finalists get it.

WINNER: SMU

No comments: